Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Harvest Continues

There are two different kinds of chokecherry trees.  One kind has green leaves.  The other kind has red leaves.  Every tree in our yard has green leaves.  Most of the ornamental trees around town in the parks and at businesses are the red-leafed variety.  We picked some red-leafed chokecherries when we discovered them, after I had harvested all of our cherries.  They were not as puckering and seemed to be a lot bigger than what I'd harvested.  A side-by-side comparison shows a really dramatic difference between the two.


We knew they were bigger, but I didn't think they were that much bigger!  After asking the parks department if I could pick them and getting a resounding yes, I got to work.

The bounty of a red-leafed chokecherry.
Not only were they seemingly more bountiful, but it took fewer chokecherries to fill my buckets.  I quickly gathered about 2 gallons.

The problem with things this easy to find and this bountiful is that it becomes addictive to harvest them.  It doesn't matter what fruit it is.  In fact, I harvested more chokecherries yesterday afternoon.

Last night we finally had a hard frost.  That means we're headed out to harvest low-bush cranberries/lingonberries this morning.  I suspect, since our picking location is so plentiful, that we aren't going to stop until we've filled every container we take out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment