Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Pancake Saga Part VIII

This morning I made pancakes.  Yes, I know it's the middle of the week but I had some extra time this morning so I did.  I used the counter top starter which was smelling quite sourdoughy and I mixed all the ingredients and placed them in the already warm oven (my wife was drying lingonberries) while I took a shower.

After I got ready for the day, I started the skillet warming and put the first bit of batter in.  Oops, I forgot the soda.  So I made that pancake and then mixed in the salt and soda to the rest.  Lo and behold the first pancake was very sourdoughy and, according to my wife, it was perhaps too sour.  The remaining pancakes had barely any sour flavor.

Here's the question and my current presumption: The "sour" in sourdough is an acid which comes from the yeast.  The baking soda is a base, which neutralizes the acid.  Thus, if you add the right amount of soda it will completely neutralize the sour flavor.  If you add too much, the pancakes become basic and chalky.  By extension, I think I have learned that I need to do a long term chemical titration of sorts based on the sourness of the starter so I can develop an idea of exactly how much, if any, soda to add.

The challenge lies in the soda's necessity to make the pancakes fluffy.  I need to minimize soda and maximize fluff.  I may also try using baking powder instead of straight soda next time.

I think we've really made progress on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment